Sunday, October 23, 2011

In The Works...

Here's a couple shots of the kit I'm currently working on...

It's the re-issue of the Aurora "Dr. Jekyll as Mr. Hyde" kit from Moebius.  I never had this one as a kid, nor have I ever built one before this.   Right now it's been built in sub assemblies and all primed, I started laying down the base colors this evening.

Two or three light coats is what you see in the photos below...  Everything is drying now and will get a seal of testors Dull Cote later this evening before I hit the rack.



I'm also using the replacement Teeth and Nameplate set from Tom Parker's "Cult of Personality Productions".  As the teeth on this kit were non-existent.

More photo's to follow as I make some more progess on this...

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Welcome...

Welcome to my new Blog...

This is where I write about the model kits I'm working on and how I go about the building and painting process...

There are plenty of ways to build and paint model kits and I am far from being any sort of expert at this... The work of most folks in this hobby make my attempts look quite amateurish at best.   I haven't entered into any contests, nor have I won any awards.  I write about what methods and materials work best for me based on my experiences with them...

I'm in this hobby because I enjoy it... I build and paint for my own pleasure, but I do like to share what I've done with others and view the work of other modelers as well.   I'm always up for learning something new or being able to improve my skills a bit...  God only knows there's plenty of room for improvement in my work!   LOL...

So please feel free to leave comments and make suggestions.... I'd love to hear from you.

With all that said, here's a couple of photo's of the latest one I've finished...  It's a one piece 1/3 scale resin bust titled "Battle Damaged Spiderman" and it was produced by "Wolfy's Kits" out of The U.K. (England)...



The prep work on this was quick and painless, just a little sanding on a couple of faint mold lines followed by a bath in some warm soapy water to remove any leftover mold release, surface oil or dirt.

I used the last bit of the last can I had that contained the "old formula" Grey Sandable Primer from Krylon...  They changed the formula and consistency of this stuff a couple years ago right after I bought a few cans.  From what I've been told by many fellow modelers "The New Formula Sucks"  It doesn't adhere well and tends to go on thicker which has the possibility of covering up the finer details ...  Many folks have had bad experiences with it.

So I guess I'll be using a different Primer on my next kit....  I have been using the Krylon Sandable for years and I hate to switch now, so I need to find something that works as well as it did....

Anyway... After priming the bust I painted the exposed flesh areas of the bust along with the exposed eye, the mask lenses, the teeth and lips following my habit of always painting the lighter areas first followed by the darker ones...

I paint everything by hand, I don't own an airbrush nor do I have any desire to do so...  Good ole' hand painting with brushes is to me, very relaxing and enjoyable plus I manage to get decent results using a combination of craft paints, pastel chalks for weathering / shading and Testors "Dull Cote" for sealing...

With the exception of the red areas, I used my normal paints of choice... "Delta Ceramcoat" acrylic craft paints.  I've been using this particular brand of craft paints for about 10 years now and really like how well they go on and clean up with a little water.  They cover great, go on smoothly and if you thin them with the right amount of water there are no brush strokes...  Plus they come in a plethora of premixed, useful and very cool colors...

I did the red portion of the costume by using a new brand of paint (new for me), Vallejo Game Colors "Gory Red"...  After thinning the paint with a little water it went on exceptionally smooth, covered well and did not leave any visible brush strokes.  I was able to get the red applied with only about three coats (and sealing in between coats using Dull Cote) so I'm pretty impressed with this paint...

After finishing up the the red and sealing once again, I started doing the Spider emblem and the web lines on the costume... I used a fairly small brush to accomplish this and it took 2 coats of black to get it looking right.   I've tried many different ways of doing Spidey's costume web lines on previous Spiderman kits..  sharpie permanent markers, gel pens, paint markers, washes etc...etc  and I've found I get the best results by using a small brush and just taking my time.   It's slow and painful but it looks great when finished!

The hair was next, I used Delta Ceramcoat "Dark Burnt Umber" as a base color and "Burnt Umber" to lightly dry brush and highlight the hair.  I then did a light brown wash on the teeth, detailed the exposed eye, the wound around the eye along with the other wounds on the face and torso...

Last thing was the base.  Initially I tried painting the nameplate yellow with a blue border. 
That did not go well at all... LOL

Sooooo, I changed step and applied a black wash over it instead.  The rest of the base was painted with Delta Ceramcoat "Dolphin Grey" then a couple of black washes were applied and every thing got a final spray with Dull Cote.

I feel It didn't turn out half bad, with it being such a very cool piece, I just hope I did the sculpt, the sculptor and my friend Mark Atherton (Producer) justice with my buildup...   I really enjoyed working on this and recommend it to anyone who has even a slight interest in the character and wants to have a very cool and unique Spiderman piece in their collection...

You can view additional shots of this buildup by following the link below or the one on the right hand side of the page labeled:


Mark M
11 October 2011